An increasing number of parents/guardians wish to provide their children with mobile phones for safety, security and/or emergency. This policy details the conditions under which mobile phones are permitted at Campbell Primary School. The school reserves the right to amend this policy in the future.
While mobile phones are permitted at school, it is discouraged unless there is a very compelling reason to do so.
- Students will only be permitted to bring a mobile phone onto school premises for safety, security or emergency purposes (i.e. contact parents after school to arrange pick-up times).
- In order for a student to bring a mobile device to school, parents/carers need to write to the Principal requesting permission for the child to have a mobile device at school.
- Mobile phones must be turned off during school hours, and are to be handed to the class teacher before school begins and collected at the end of the day. Each phone will be placed in a zip lock bag with students name on it.
- They may only be turned on out of school hours.
- While at school, students are the responsibility of school staff and DoE. Any instances that require emergency contact with parents MUST be through the appropriate staff member or a member of administration who will make the appropriate call to parents/carers.
- Phones are not to be used by other students.
- The school does not accept responsibility for any theft, loss or damage of mobile phones.
- The device is not used for inappropriate purposes (i.e. Students are not to take photos or videos on mobile phones on school premises.)
It should be noted that it is a criminal offence to use a mobile phone to menace, harass or offend another person. Hence, students with mobile phones must not engage in personal attacks, harass another person, or post private information about another person using SMS messages, taking/sending photos, videos or objectionable images, and phone calls.
Students using mobile phones to bully other students will face disciplinary actions as sanctioned by the Principal.
Students infringing on the principles noted above will have their mobile phone confiscated and secured It will be taken to the front office and be kept secure and the parent(s) of the student informed. Parent(s) of the student may collect the phone at their convenience.
Any incidents of inappropriate behaviours through the use of mobile phones will result in disciplinary action as applied by the principal. Principal may then withdraw permission to the student to bring a mobile phone to Campbell Primary School for a set period or permanently.
Staff Review: Term 4 2016
Ratified by School Board : 17 10.2016