An increasing number of parents/guardians wish to provide their children with mobile phones or wearable devices with messaging, Internet and Bluetooth capabilities for safety, security and/or emergency. This policy details the conditions under which these devices are permitted at Campbell Primary School. Wearable devices with messaging, internet or Bluetooth capabilities may include digital watches and wearable fitness trackers. The school reserves the right to amend this policy in the future.
While mobile phones and/or wearable devices are permitted at school, it is discouraged unless there is a very compelling reason to do so.
- Students will only be permitted to bring a mobile phone or wearable device with messaging, internet or Bluetooth capabilities onto school premises for safety, security or emergency purposes (i.e. contact parents after school to arrange pick-up times).
- In order for a student to bring a mobile phone or wearable device with messaging, internet or Bluetooth capabilities to school, parents/carers need to write to the Principal requesting permission for the child to have the device at school.
- Mobile phones must be turned off during school hours, and are to be handed to the class teacher before school begins and collected at the end of the day. Each phone will be placed in a zip lock bag with the student’s name on it.
- Wearable device with messaging, internet or Bluetooth capabilities are to be handed in to the class teacher before school begins and collected at the end of each day. Each device will be placed in a zip lock bag with the student’s name on it.
- Mobile phones and wearable devices with messaging, internet or Bluetooth capabilities may only be turned on and/or used out of school hours.
- While at school, students are the responsibility of school staff and DoE. Any instances that require emergency contact with parents MUST be through the appropriate staff member or a member of administration who will make the appropriate call to parents/carers.
- Devices are not to be used by other students.
- The school does not accept responsibility for any theft, loss or damage of mobile phones or wearable devices.
- The mobile phone or wearable device is not used for inappropriate purposes (i.e. Students are not to take photos or videos on mobile phones on school premises or message friends or family members.)
It should be noted that it is a criminal offence to use a mobile device to menace, harass or offend another person. Hence, students with devices must not engage in personal attacks, harass another person, or post private information about another person using messages, taking/sending photos, videos or objectionable images, and phone calls.
Students using devices to bully other students will face disciplinary actions as sanctioned by the Principal.
Students infringing on the principles noted above will have their mobile phone or wearable device confiscated and secured. It will be taken to the front office and kept secure, and the parent(s) of the student informed. Parent(s) of the student may collect the device at their convenience.
Any incidents of inappropriate behaviours through the use of mobile phones or wearable devices will result in disciplinary action as applied by the principal. The Principal may then withdraw permission to the student to bring a mobile phone or wearable device to Campbell Primary School for a set period or permanently.
Staff Review: Term 3 2019
Ratified by School Board : Term 3 2019